Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What is your food really costing you?

     The leftover gumbo is calling to us.We are going to add some more sausage and recreate gumbo night. I've been working like a longshoreman around the house today so the thought of leftovers is a welcome one. As you prepare dinner tonight I thought I'd share some thoughts about our food journey.

DSC08857 

   For the past several years we have been putting a great deal of effort into making better food choices. These choices, we believe have led to our improved health and well-being.  Our transition to real food involved avoiding processed foods and shopping for the freshest produce and proteins possible. 

 

     In 2005 I opted to leave my retail management career and devote myself to preparing nourishing balanced meals as a homemaker. I've spent countless hours doing the research and legwork it takes to keep our menus delicious and varied. If this was to be a lifestyle change our meals had to be satisfying and fill not only our stomachs but also our souls. 

 


      These choices have become habits and really reflect our preferences. The results are evident in our yearly health reports.

      I suppose a natural progression of our wellness quest is the exploration of where the food we eat comes from. I recently saw a film called FOOD INC. and to say I was enlightened by the information I learned is an understatement. Seeing the film has made me understand that the proper selection of our produce and proteins and grains is vital to our long-term wellness. 

       In an effort to control what goes into our bodies my husband and I decided last   Valentines Day, that instead of flowers and candy we would increase the size of our home garden. We constructed several organic raised garden beds and planted our own crops. This was our way to nourish the health of the hearts we cherish.

      I often hear people speak about the cost of fresh food and the time it takes to put healthy meals on the table. I believe that with more education this argument could be put to rest. Firstly and most importantly the health costs of a poor diet far out weigh the cost of fresh food in the long term. It’s a matter of looking at the big picture. I also think with more education families could prepare healthier nutrition dense meals that would take less time and money than driving to a fast food establishment, or eating processed foods. We need to educate people about the uses of healthy nutrition dense foods like lentils, kale and quinoa. 

 

     There are many foods that people don’t use simply because they were never taught how. I believe we need to reeducate the next generation so they will have the knowledge to fight the myriad of preventable diseases our society is now faced with. We need more school gardens, more instruction for lower income families. If families get food stamps they should go hand in hand with nutrition classes. Schools should promote family cooking projects that are easy and nutritious. 

     Lets learn all we can about what we put into our bodies. Lets turn this unhealthy situation into an opportunity to grow literally and figuratively.

 TIP OF THE DAY: Enjoy leftovers on the days when you are super busy. Try to make and freeze extra batches of soups and stews you never know when they will come in handy!

2 comments:

Bernadette said...

Thanks for sharing! You're so right...the extra money we spend on fresh, healthy food, is more than made up for by less trips to the doctor and/or medications. And I'm right there with you regarding leftovers. It is SO rewarding to pull some soup or chili out of the freezer so we could share a hot meal when we're feeling too tired or busy to cook.

Vagablonde said...

Thank you Bernadette I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm glad there is so much in media about eating well. lets hope the good word keeps spreading1