Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Leek & Potato Soup

     We picked up some beautiful leeks at the farmers market this past weekend. I immediately began imagining all the recipes that call for leeks and deciding which ones I would prepare. They are a favorite of mine and I've been eyeing them in the fridge since Saturday. 

     We had a hearty lunch today and I wanted to serve a dinner on the lighter side. Leek and potato soup seem to be the perfect answer.

1 Tbs oil $.25
1 Leek cleaned and chopped  (little over 2 cups) $.50
2 –3 small red potatoes  $.50
(peeled & diced)
4 cups stock or water or a combo of both $2.50 (I used broth today)
¼ cup Parsley $.30
½-1 Tbs Thyme (to taste)

1 /2 Tbs oil in stockpot
Slice 1 thoroughly cleaned leek
And cook for a few minutes but don’t brown it.
Add water or broth  
Add   potatoes
Bring to boil
Simmer about 20 minutes or so till tender
Add parsley and Thyme
Sweating the leeks
Take 2/3 of the mixture and carefully puree
This will thicken it while keeping some of it chunky.
(I’ve also pureed it all for a smoother soup)
Finally add
 1-cup milk $.40 to finish the soup (optional)  (from skim to half & half what ever you use)
(The heavier the richer and creamier)
S&P to taste
I’m serving the soup with some nice cheddar cheese and crackers. $ 1.00
Total $ 5.45 give or take a few cents
 
TIP OF THE DAY: Leeks are often overlooked in the produce section. They might be a few cents more than some other vegetables but don’t let this stop you from trying them. Leeks are delicious, versatile and well worth making a part of your menu plan.  I’ve used leeks as the main ingredient in tonight’s dinner and as you can see it was a very economical dish. This is a perfect choice for a light summer meal. Embrace the elegant leek as part of your vegetable cache.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never eaten leeks ... I must try them! Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious!

Vagablonde said...

I think you'll like them very much. Stay tuned for some of my favorite garlic recipes in future posts.