Thursday, September 9, 2010

Carrot Ginger Soup and So Munch More


      I’ve been craving carrot ginger soup for the past few days and today there is a big pot of it on the stove. There is something about the feeling of fall in the air that makes my thoughts turn to soup. We had a big rainstorm here yesterday and I guess that is also a big part of the craving.   

Add 1 tablespoons olive oil to pot $.05
Add 1/2  - 3/4  onion sauteed in the oil  $.59
Add 1 to2 pounds peeled sliced carrots $1.50
Add 1/4 cup peeled fresh ginger sliced grated or chopped fine $.50
Add 3 –4 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth or H2O -to cover carrots by a bit 
 I’m using ½ water 1/2 home made stock from our last roast chicken dinner)
 (If I need stock I use Pacific organic low sodium about $2.50-$3.50 per quart)
 When tender I puree the mixture
 Add 1/2 cup orange juice if fresh, or I keep a frozen concentrate in freezer and add 2 tbs. $.75 
 Add ¼ cup half & half $.30 to taste. (Sometimes I leave it out entirely)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Sweet curry powder -I sometimes add a touch of curry to taste add a bit at a time
S&P to taste


To accompany the soup I’m adapting a unique zucchini roll recipe up I saw Jacques Pepin do on TV the other day.
I’m slicing zucchini the long way and thin enough to roll (I use a mandolin)  $.35
I spread the zucchini slice with a light layer of cream cheese $. 40 and lay a bit of Prosciutto $2.00 (he used salmon but I had Prosciutto) & roll up both are wonderful. The soup a roll up add a fresh baked cracker or two $.35 * 

Total $ 6.79 give or take a few cents


TIP OF THE DAY: Don’t rule out a soup for dinner. Its delicious, filling and gives you the opportunity to incorporate a new and exciting accompaniments like Pepin's roll ups. Be on the look out for unique recipes and keep them near your soup recipes for easy access. 

* I promised to tell you what I did with the leftover dough from yesterdays mushroom tart! I cut them in to scalloped rounds topped them with Parmesan cheese S&P and thyme. I then baked them to accompany today's soup. Think ahead for little touches that make a meal special, even on a Thursday night.
 

No comments: