Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ratatouille for a late summer night

     Ratatouille is as much fun to make as it is to eat and to say.This is such a simple dish I don’t know why I don’t see it more often.

     I've been experimenting with baking petite fours today so I needed an easy dinner that I knew was going to turn out well with very little tending to.

     I love the taste of the roasted vegetables and I like this change from the usual of root vegetables I roast. It is a great dish to make as summer ends and you find such a beautiful selection of eggplant and peppers.

1  Eggplant $.88
1  Green pepper $.59
2  Zucchini    $.65
1 Summer squash $.35
3 Tomatoes $1.75
1 Red onion  $1.00

2 oz       Olive oil   $.20
1 Tbs    Dijon mustard $.20
1 oz      Balsamic vinegar $.50
 3         Fat Garlic cloves $.40
Basil     A small handful of fresh or a a teaspoon of dry
1 Tbs   Italian seasoning
Red pepper flakes a sprinkle to taste

Mix the vegetables with the sauce and place in a roasting pan
Place in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour 
(till they are tender and done).
I’m serving this with the lavash I baked earlier today.
 Total $6.52 give or take a few cents

 TIP OF THE DAY: Don’t overlook or rule out trying a dish because it sounds fancy or unfamiliar. It may turn out to be easier than you think. It also may become one of your all time favorite summer comfort foods.

No comments: