Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Turkey Meatloaf Artichokes & Garlic Aioli

One of the meals we have grown to love in the past few years is a good lean Turkey meatloaf.
Some people think that ground turkey tends to be dry. With all the goodies we add to the mix we have never found ours to be anything other than moist & delicious. Because it’s Hatch Chile season I’ve adapted this recipe to include them in the mix.  I will use half of a grated carrot, which tastes great and helps keep the meatloaf moist.

I bought 1 1/4 LBS for $5.19
(This will provide our dinner & leftovers for John’s lunch)
I sautéed 1/2 small onion $.30  (till soft)
Then I add a little ketchup or tomato paste  $.15 (not quite a tsp)
S&P
Worcestershire about 1.5 tsp  $.10
A big pinch of Italian seasonings or thyme.
I the let it cool completely

Meanwhile…
I mix the ground Turkey
2 diced roasted cooled hatch green chilies  $.75
½ carrot $.10
Just under ½ cup breadcrumbs. $.40
2 eggs $.42
Ketchup to thinly coat the meatloaf’ on the top $.40

Mix the cooked cooled onion with the meat mixture
And I cook it till it reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees
About 1.5 hours I use a cookie sheet.

With this meal I wanted to try something new & different. Luckily while watching the cooking channel yesterday I came upon a woman making Artichokes dipped in Garlic aioli. This looked so good I had to give it a try. Those of you familiar with my woman vs. emulsion part one; know that I was completely defeated by the emulsion. This time I persevered and created a really nice aioli.
I feel very proud to have conquered this skill and I thank Laura Calder   for the recipe & the demonstration. Check her out if you would like to try this. I found it a bit of a challenge to wrestle the artichoke.
Artichoke $1.99 (I imagine one could use Jarred hearts as well I would like to give that a try)
 Garlic $ 50
Grape seed oil $ 5.00 (note that I made a very large amount of aioli, far more than we will need for this meal. I estimate that today's portion costs about $1.25 
 Total $ 11.55



TIP OF THE DAY: If the cost of the specialty oils & the aged balsamics I mention   seems prohibitive,  regular oils & vinegars will be just fine I am sure. Consider trying these special products if you can, they are delicious and have a fairly long shelf life. John and I buy items like this when we travel. We really don’t need any more tee shirts and we love that our food represents a wonderful memory of a place we have visited.

No comments: