Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs

      This week I have noticed that everywhere I turn people are talking about meatballs. I’ve seen about 30 recipes I'd like to try and today is the day. Recently I’ve been learning to make my own pasta from scratch and I have enjoyed taking my old standard recipes and trying them with fresh pasta. Today however is all about the meatball. I’m excited to take the classic Spaghetti and meatballs recipe in different direction…Abondanzza. 


Ground beef $2.00
Ground pork $2.00
Garlic $.30
Handful of fresh parsley $.50
Handful of fresh basil
¼ cup Breadcrumbs $.30
2 Eggs $.50
¼ cup Parmesan cheese $.70

Mix all the above ingredients and form meatballs
Tuck a small cube of mozzarella in the center$ 1.00
Roll in meatball in more breadcrumbs  $.30
After browning them in a pan I’ll finish them in the simmering sauce.
(I’m doing a quick sauce of tomato, basil and garlic)
When fully cooked
Add cooked pasta to a pan and mix in sauce and meatballs
It will absorb sauce nicely
Meatballs are simmering away on the stove
Tomatoes for sauce $.75
Garlic for sauce $.30
Basil from the garden
Pasta ingredients (egg flour oil salt water) ($1.00 if that)
Total $9.65 give or take a few cents




TIP OF THE DAY: Take a look at your tried and true meals and give them a makeover. We all get into food ruts but it’s OK to shake things up once in a while. Take a classic dish you love and revisit the preparation. Look at many recipe adaptations and pick components of several that appeal to you. Take ingredients that intrigue you and use your imagination to create a new twist on a family favorite.

2 comments:

JLuker said...

I will definitely be trying these! My absolute favorite meal of all time is homemade spaghetti & meatballs! luckily I have passed this on to Hadley!

Vagablonde said...

Hope you enjoy... They turned out moist and flavorful. As a bonus we'll be enjoying meatball sammies from the leftovers for lunch.