Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Brunch ~ Dutch Baby & Eggs en Cocotte

     I love the relaxed feel of a Sunday morning. Plenty of time to linger over that extra cup of coffee, recharge our souls and let the day slowly unfold. A dear friend from overseas is visiting us this weekend and I am preparing a Sunday Brunch.

     I’m taking the classic pancakes and egg concept in a bit of a different direction for this meal.
The pancake will be a Dutch baby and I will serve eggs en cocotte.

The Dutch baby is a pancake variation I prepare in a cast iron skillet in the oven where it puffs up and looks beautiful.

  DUTCH BABY

I use 3 eggs (beat alone till frothy then add) $.75
½ cup milk $.25
½ cup bread flour (you can use AP flour as well) $.30
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
a small peeled sliced apple (optional) I sometimes use a baked apple $.50

I use my lodge cast iron skillet for this dish
I preheat an oven to 450 degrees 
I put the skillet in the oven
So it gets very hot
I make the batter (above)  (beat till smooth) 
Remove hot pan from the oven  (USE POTHOLDERS)
Carefully place butter in the hot pan to coat
Place batter in the hot pan
Return to oven for about 20 –25 minutes till its puffy
When done I drizzle a touch of lemon juice on top an
I like to serve it with maple syrup

EGGS EN COCOTTE
Take a ramekin for each person
Rub inside sides and bottom with a thin coat of butter
Put ½ tsp of basil pesto in the middle of the ramekin
Put 2 eggs in each ramekin  $ 1.50
Add ½ tsp half & half to the top of each $.25
Add ½ tsp grated Parmesan to the top of each $.50
S&P to taste

Place all ramekins in a baking dish
Carefully pour boiling water in the baking dish till it reaches
halfway - two thirds up the ramekins

Place in 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes till done
I like to turn them out onto a plate to serve
Note: you can prepare these eggs so many ways, experiment with different cheeses and different herbs. Have fun with it.

Total $ 4.05 gives or take a few cents

 TIP OF THE DAY:  Take staples of your diet and play with the possibilities. Instead of the usual pancakes make a Dutch baby. It’s easy and inexpensive. Think of which meals you regularly prepare that could benefit from a new and different twist. Treasure the old standbys but be adventurous and discover new
Family favorites

1 comment:

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle said...

Love this...and the eggs alongside are beautiful!