Sunday, September 19, 2010

Crab Cakes to Complement John's Pork Tenderloin

     We love to have friends over for dinner. To share good food and good times with friends is really what it's all about. 

     John is taking the lead tonight preparing on of his famous pork tenderloins on the grill.

Crab Cakes Sizzling in the pan
     I am putting a bit of a surf and turf twist on the dinner making one of my favorite dishes, crab cakes. I make this amount as a dinner for two or as a side dish for four.

     There are so many good crab cake recipes and I have several favorites.
Tonight I used a recipe with a two part preparation where I sauteed  the vegetables first & after I cooled them I added them to the crab mixture.

For the vegetables
I put butter & olive oil in my frying pan
With: 
 3/4  Small diced red onion  $.45
 2  Ribs diced Celery $.30
 ½ Roasted diced red pepper(jar) $1.00
(I normally use Fresh red bell pepper but tonight I had the roasted pepper so I used that instead)
  ½ tps Worcestershire sauce
  a few drops of Tabasco to taste
  ½ tsp Salt
  ½ tsp Pepper
  1 tsp Old Bay
Cook till soft & done about 20 minutes or so
This is a great thing to do early and have ready in advance.
I cool it and refrigerate.

Part two: The crab mixture
I put my crab $7.00 in a bowl
( I used lump crab for this)
Add 2 eggs $.50
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs $.50
(I mix regular and panko but either is just fine)

I’ll serve this with Johns Pork  $6.00 and 

A small shaved vegetable salad $1.00
(Topped with home made basil honey dressing)
Total $ $16.00 give or take a few cents 


Tip of the day: Take something you would normally serve as an entrée and adjust the portion size to make it perfect for a side dish. I’ve used this crab cake recipe to create wonderful bite sized appetizers and as cocktail party treats. It makes me want to get creative and think about what other main dishes I can turn into surprising sides.

No comments: