Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Spinach Risotto ~Jammies and The TV

What's not to like?
     Most of the packing for our upcoming trip is done and it’s time to relax tonight and serve up a big bowl of comfort food. I want the kind of meal we can eat in in front of the TV while wearing our jammies, all cozy and snug.We will soon be gone for a month and I’m sure we will miss nights like this.

     As I thought about what meal would fit the bill for this kind of relaxing TV night the thought of warm creamy risotto came to mind. One of the most comforting meals I can think of is a big warm bowl of piping hot risotto. Tonight it will be spinach risotto in front of the tube. 

     Be advised it will take you about a half an hour to cook and its not the kind of dish you can walk away from so put on some music or call a friend and stir it frequently. There are a couple of perks in being near the stove for this process. I love the smell of the wine being added to the rice, it wafts through the kitchen and makes me smile. I also love stirring in the Parmesan right near the end, bringing all the creaminess of the rice and cheese together.
As you add the rice to the oil it is absorbed and is almost luminescent
Spinach Risotto for a cozy evening
1 tbs butter $.25
1 tbs olive oil $.10
1/2 slice bacon $.50 (adds great flavor)
¾ cup leeks $.75
¾ cup Arborio rice $1.00
½ cup white wine $1.50
3 cups homemade chicken stock
(from the chicken I cooked last week)
1 bag frozen spinach $.90
thawed with the water squeezed out of
handful of fresh basil from our garden (chopped)
½ cup Parmesan cheese $1.00
a touch of nutmeg

First I put 3 cups of stock in a pot and heat it (keep it simmering)
I will add it to the risotto one ladleful at a time

I melt the butter & add the oil and bacon to the pan
Saute the leek (or shallot or onion) till translucent
Add the rice and stir to coat
Rice will be coated with the butter/oil
Add the wine and stir
Add a ladleful of the hot stock and stir till incorporated
Add another ladleful
And repeat till the stock is fully absorbed by the rice
when you draw the spoon back  and it is dry add more broth
Usually takes twenty minutes to a half an hour.

when the rice is done add the spinach & basil and stir and
then the cheese. 
Adding the spinach
Serve hot
Total under $7.00

TIP OF THE DAY: I’m a huge fan of fresh veggies and they are always a favorite of mine. However there is a lot to be said for frozen veggies that are picked at their peak and frozen till needed. After all don’t I freeze my own basil pesto for later use? I really do not care for canned vegetables and I never buy them myself, as I don’t like the taste. But I find frozen vegetables work very well.

3 comments:

Jan Bills said...

Oh...that sounds so delicious, Debra! ;)

Kathy said...

What a beautiful presentation, looks delicious!!!

Vagablonde said...

Thank you both ladies. Let me know if you try it. I Appreciate your comments