Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes :Smart Cooking in Arkansas




     While stopping for gas in Carlisle, Arkansas we decided we had better find a bite to eat before it got to be too late. The only other people in the gas station that evening were a couple who turned out to be local. They recommended a place,just down the road called Nick's.
      Opened in 1972 Nick's Bar-B-Que and Catfish restaurant seems to be somewhat of a Neighborhood hotspot in Caslisle, and it was packed. We loved seeing their full parking lot, it showed us the place is good enough to draw a crowd. 

     As we entered past the red neon sign we passed a wall of autographed photos of celebrities who have joined the folks at Nick's for a meal. If it's good enough for George Strait and Trace Atkins I suppose it's good enough for me. The friendly hostess instructed us to grab a clean table and someone should be right with us.

     Saturday evening at Nick's means that college football is on the TV, catfish is frying in the kitchen and there's a plate of ribs on practically every table. When I saw fried green tomatoes on the menu I knew that this would have to be what I ordered. I have always wanted to try this southern specialty but this  is the first place I've been to where ordering them just felt right. They were as good as I imagined.crispy with a touch of heat on the outside and soft and tangy on the inside. I will definitely be trying these with my tomatoes.

      I'm not usually one to order fried food but I'm glad I tried this local specialty. I was also very impressed with the friendly staff who took the time to talk about the finer points of freid green tomatoes with me.


TIP OF THE DAY: Don't be shy about asking for recommendations.We would have missed an interesting experience if we hadn't asked a local.

No comments: