Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Brats on the Grill Topped with Caramelized Onion and Peppers

The brats are almost done

     I was busy today creating treats to enjoy on our upcoming road trip. I have also been harvesting bowls full of basil for pesto to freeze in case we get a cold snap while we are away. I am glad dinner was a super easy to fix tonight.

     One of our favorite places to get brats is a place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin called Usingers (link for Usingers click here )When we visit them we always lament on the difficulty of bring back meats in our luggage and wind up walking away empty handed. Imagine our surprise when we discovered Usingers at one of our local stores. Now whenever we crave these delicious brats they are nearby. Thank you Usingers.

     We are treating ourselves to brats on the grill tonight served on whole wheat buns with spicy mustard. As an homage to my New York roots I’m caramelizing some onion and red pepper to top it off the brats. I cooked them   at  a very low temperature for a very long time. As I took care of my trip preparations I allowed the onion and pepper to slowly caramelize and almost melt. We can serve them on top of the brats.
Cooked slowly on a low temperature
Brats $5.00 (4 pack)
Buns $2.29 (4 pack)
onion $.50
Red pepper $.50

I’ve also made a last minute kitchen sink carrot slaw
(No real recipe I just throw in this and that)

cup or so of grated of carrot
couple of tablespoons of yogurt
handful of raisins
splash or two of cider vinegar
curry powder to taste
pinch of salt
½ teaspoon of sugar to taste
and a bit of mayo
I just taste as I go and it always turns out well.
 Total under $10.00

TIP OF THE DAY: Use the grill It’s a great way to keep the kitchen cool on a warm day and the taste of brats on the grill just cant be beat. It really helps make clean up easier as well. There is no rule that says you can’t make the most of the outdoor grill just because it’s fall or even winter for that matter (weather permitting)

No comments: