Friday, October 22, 2010

Road Trip Edition: Grab and Go Bars From My Friends @RealAge

      I've been very lucky to discover so many smart helpful people through twitter. One of the first friends to reach out to me was @RealAge . I had tried a recipe they featured called grab and go breakfast bars. These bars have become a staple snack at our house. They are a regular part of my husbands lunches and my afternoon snacks. I've made them for countless road trips and I really must say they are a terrific alternative to store bought bar products. I like knowing what is in them and and I love that they are delicious.
I appreciate @realage for always being so gracious and helpful.


Dry Ingredients
1 cup Quaker Oats
1 cup Shredded wheat
1/4 cup fiber one
1 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cups of a variety of dried apricots cherries cranberries raisins 
(I always use whatever I have)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients
2 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and run it till chopped to pea sized pieces.

In a different bowl, I whisk together eggs vanilla and honey to combine

Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. 

I place on the half sheet pan and flatten it to make it even spread evenly.
Bake for 17 or  18 minutes at 350 degrees you will see  the edges turn brownish  
Let cool cut into even pieces and enjoy.

@RealAge Tells me they freeze well and someday I might have them around long enough to freeze but they usually disappear way before I have time to freeze them
Click here to see the real age recipe video that inspired me

5 comments:

arborandvine said...

Wow! That sounds great! It's funny that you posted this. My husband was just mentioning to me the other day that he wanted to try something other than the breakfast type bard sold in the grocery store. Thanks for the recipe too> I hope to try it soon :-)

Kathy

Vagablonde said...

Thank You Kathy ..Let me know how you like it!! They are super easy and delicious, Hope you like them.

Unknown said...

Recipe sounds good but was wondering if anyone has baked them? As I was wondering what the oven temp was?

Unknown said...

Recipe sounds good but was wondering what the oven temp was?

Vagablonde said...

Bake at 350 degrees. I hope you enjoy them. They are a staple snack food on all of our road trips