Friday, October 1, 2010

Spinach Mushroom and Swiss Cheese Crepes

     I love a meal that is incredibly simple yet feels extra special. The idea of crepes for dinner transports me back to France and I can’t help but smile at the memories conjured up as I prepare the crepe batter.There are crepe stands all over France. It's wonderful to watch the chefs prepare large paper thin crepes using nothing but a small tool that looks like a wooden dowel. The flavors and the aromas are a highlight not to be missed when in France.  
Crepe Stand in Aix En Provence
Basic Batter
2 eggs $.50
½ cup water 
¾ cup milk and .$50
1 cup of flour $.20
The crepe is just about done

My Filling
Defrosted drained dried frozen spinach
1 cup of mushrooms
(washed and sliced)
Swiss cheese $2.00
The filling is bubbling hot

I prepare the crepe batter early in the afternoon and let it sit in the fridge till I need it
I saute the
¼ Onion finely diced $.35
Spinach $.88
Mushrooms $.75
With a bit of olive oil
When tender I added a little half and half
a few drops of cooking sherry
A touch of nutmeg
S&P and a hint of tarragon

I make one crepe at a time
Make them thin
Expect the first crepe to be a test

When the crepes are all done
I put then one at a time in the fry pan add the filling and the Swiss
Fold in one third
And then fold over the other third
Serve hot..

Total under $5.00 for this meal

TIP OF THE DAY: Whip up a crepe batter and practice making them.
Once you have mastered the crepe you can fill it with almost anything. What a great way to dress up leftovers. I’m using the leftover batter to make citron dessert crepes with sugar lemon zest and a big squeeze of lemon to finish it off. Now that’s versatility! 

2 comments:

Jan Bills said...

You are one great chef, Debra! Will garden for food! LOL!

Vagablonde said...

Thank you Jan you are very kind. I will definitely cook for gardening magic.. I must send you a photo of my front flower beds. Sad..but great potential ( extremely untapped)