Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Grandma’s Special Halibut Recipe

     Everyone has a unique recipe or special meal that will brings them back to their childhood days. For me it is my grandmothers halibut dish. It was one of her specialties and she would serve it for our birthdays and at holiday time. We would request it often and look forward to the times she was able to prepare it for us.

Grandma's recipe

     My grandmother was one of the most important people in my life and she taught me more than I have time to record here. Today I will share this treasured recipe with my readers. It seems fitting to end 2010 sharing my most precious recipe with all of you. My grandmother was kind and generous to everyone and she would have been very pleased indeed to think her recipe was reaching so many people.

 Adding the shrimps and the halibut

     As 2010 comes to a close I am recalling  many wonderful meals shared with family and friends. In 2011 I hope all your meals are filled with good flavors and good memories. 

  Happy New Year

I love this egg slicer it lets me cut the egg in thin slices
½ lb halibut $5.00
1 hard boiled egg $.30
6 shrimp cooked $3.00
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 cup milk (add a bit more if needed) $.75
I use 1% milk and find that it works well
touch of nutmeg
½ tsp parsley
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
2 boiled potatoes $.75
steaming the halibut
Steam the halibut (I add a touch of old Bay)

 Hard boil an egg-about 10 minutes

Smooth and delicious white sauce
  White sauce
Melt butter in a saucepan 
add the flour and whisk to make a light roux this will cook the raw taste out of the flour
Add milk until it is a medium thickness
( a bit lighter than a chowder) 
I add a touch of nutmeg to the sauce 
Cooking the shrimp
When the sauce is finished add
Cooked cleaned deveined shrimp 
Hard-boiled egg  
Steamed halibut
add spices 
dried parsley
Grandma liked Mrs. Dash pepper  as well
The finished product

Serve the halibut shrimp egg sauce
over boiled potatoes
(I smash them with a fork and put the fish dish on top)
Total under $10.00 


No comments: