Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Comfort Food For A Stormy Snow Day


For most of the country today is a day to stay indoors, put on your warmest comfiest clothes, select a few good movies and prepare this one pan turkey chili. This delicious adaptable recipe will accommodate just about whatever you have on hand. I suggest you make a big pot of it and enjoy the warm feeling it will give you throughout the stormy days ahead.
In my large pan
I added 1 Tbs olive oil
Then…
I sauté a large onion
A red Pepper 
A yellow pepper

1-2 Tomatoes
Several garlic cloves (to taste~we like garlic)
Parsley and raw garlic (minced combo I have on hand)
Some leftover roasted garlic cloves
I seasoned the mixture with salt, pepper, cumin, mixed herbs

When all the ingredients are cooked
I added
Cooked black beans ~about 15 oz. (If using a can I rinse them thoroughly)
Leftover turkey breast ( I had roasted the breast earlier and used the leftovers for this dish)
I served this delicious mixture on tortillas with avocado and salsa on top.
Use the above recipe as a guideline and adapt it to use what you have on hand. 
You could add jalapeños
Use chicken or pork instead of turkey
Use pinto beans if you have them on hand
Green chilies are a fantastic addition to this dish.
Use your imagination to create a snow day comfort food feast.
Stay indoor and safe while enjoying a fast easy hearty meal.

2 comments:

Jan @TWOwomenANDaHOE said...

Sounds delicious! Now I just need someone to prepare it!

May all your gardens grow!

x0x0x0

Vagablonde said...

Here I am :-)