Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Summer Staycation

            "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."
                                                           -- Albert Camus


     It is mid February and most of the country is covered in snow with frigid temperatures and biting winds that make the idea of a beach day almost inconceivable. The long gray days of winter can begin to wear on a soul when spring seems so far away. Most of us can not escape to a tropical island until spring comes along so I thought I'd serve up a little summer vacation in tonight's post.

     I took a ride to the ocean the other day and as I watched the seagulls soaring and the puppy dogs at play in the waves, I wished I could share this summer moment with those who are feeling the weight of an abominable snow season. How could I convey the spirit of such a day and remind my friends that summer will be here soon with flowers and vegetables blooming in the garden and a pitcher of lemonade to be sipped on the porch. 
Beginning to cook the veggies
     My solution is of course to provide you with a summer beach picnic in the midst of the depths of winter. So get out those Beach Boy records, lay a blanket on the floor make some lemonade and enjoy a taste of summer on a winter night.

I  sometimes use these. They are terrific
Crab Cakes 
Dice
½ onion
½ yellow pepper
½ red pepper
 Add
¼ -1/2 tsp hot sauce
½ Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp old bay
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
cook till soft
cool completely

When the veggies are cool 
add  
2 eggs
¼ cup mayo
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ lb flaked crab
They look good so far
Blend the cooked (cooled) mixture with the eggs mayo and crab
Form into cakes
Pan fry in butter and oil
Total Under $7.00 
not bad for a summer vacation.
Crab Cakes transport ~ a dinner by the sea
I served the crab cakes with
a diced red onion and tomato salad
tossed in a blood orange vinaigrette 

2 comments:

Native Gardener said...

Looks delicious. I LOVE crabcakes. Never had them from a beach blanket before. Fun imagery.

Vagablonde said...

so yummy